- Monday-Beginner Ballet*
- Tuesday-Just Barre
- Wednesday-Beginner Ballet*
- Thursday-Basics I Ballet*
- Saturday-Stretch & Core Strengthening, African Dance or Horton Class
- Sunday-All Levels Ballet Class*
Evgenia Obratzova in a Satanella rehearsal
My studio finally added a new All-Level ballet class on Sunday afternoons and the teacher was great! Here are a few things I appreciated from class:
- She had us do different warm ups on the barre (some even incorporating 6th position), which is refreshing because I am secretly tired of doing the same routine over and over again (although it was hard to keep up with new combinations)
- She required us to add length and grace into every movement and I finally felt my self conscious self go out the window and just let the music take over my body. It felt amazing and I am going to try to get in that mindset for every class going forward (although it feels like only my plies and grande plies are beginning to look the part).
- Our instructor told us she was 65 years old (and she looked great!). There were some older women in our class too and most of them have even been through child birth! It made me realize that I am still in my prime and by the time I do get older, ballet will easily still be a part of my life. Even when I am no longer able to do the turns and the jumps, I can do modifications and still continue to practice ballet.
Unfortunately, thirty minutes into the barre, I felt my Achilles injury take over (started feeling this about 2 weeks ago). I couldn’t even focus on the combinations at the floor and all I could think about was, is this the end?? I’ve only been practicing ballet for 4 months now (started 1/25/13) and now this beautiful new passion I discovered, is over! Because as I know very well, it’s not at all in my personality to “rest” and let my injuries heal. They usually just get worse because I can’t stand the idea of taking a day off. So I asked my instructor about it after class and she said to just ice it and avoid releves for about a week. So I am making a vow to myself to actually rest it-because I would much rather be a week behind all of my classes (Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays) and go back in the following week with my ankles 100%. Also, I’m going to go to the doctor tomorrow and get an X-ray to confirm that everything is ok. Wish me luck!